Hair loss during pregnancy
Hair loss during pregnancy is a common concern for many women. It's normal for women to experience some degree of hair thinning or shedding during pregnancy due to hormonal changes. Still, it can also be a sign of an underlying medical condition.
But is there any safe hair treatment for pregnant women? Let us first understand the reasons behind losing hair while pregnant and further understand the available treatments.
How does pregnancy impact Hair?
Pregnancy can have a significant impact on hair due to hormonal changes in the body. During pregnancy, estrogen levels increase, which can prolong the growing phase of hair, resulting in thicker, fuller hair. This effect can make hair look healthier and more voluminous during pregnancy.
However, after giving birth, estrogen levels drop, and hair can enter a resting phase, which leads to hair shedding or thinning. This is known as postpartum hair loss and is a common concern for many women.
Additionally, pregnancy can also affect the texture and appearance of hair. Some women may experience changes in hair texture or increased dryness, while others may experience excess oiliness.
How can I prevent hair loss during pregnancy?
We have understood why women face hair fall after giving birth. Although treatments are available, we can get rid of hair fall issues with some self-care. To prevent hair loss during pregnancy, here are some safe hair treatments for pregnant women:
- Eat a well-balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals. Focus on diets especially those that promote hair growth, such as iron, zinc, and biotin.
- Avoid harsh chemicals and heat styling, which can hamper hair and cause breakage.
- Manage stress levels through relaxation techniques, such as yoga or meditation.
- Use a gentle shampoo and conditioner formulated for a specific hair type.
- Get regular trims to prevent split ends and breakage.
Home remedies for hair loss during pregnancy
Here are some home remedies for treating hair loss during pregnancy:
- Aloe vera: Apply aloe vera gel on the scalp and leave it on for 30 minutes. Rinse once the gel is dried with lukewarm water.
- Coconut oil: Massage the scalp with warm coconut oil and leave it on for an hour before washing it with a mild shampoo.
- Eggs: Eggs are rich in protein, which can help strengthen hair. Beat one or two eggs and apply the mixture to the scalp. Leave it on for 30 minutes and wash it off with mild shampoo.
- Onion juice: Onion juice contains sulfur, which can help to make the hair follicles strong and promote hair growth. Extract juice from one or two onions and apply it to the scalp. Leave it on for 30 minutes and wash it off with mild shampoo.
- Indian gooseberry (amla): Mix Indian gooseberry powder with water to make a paste and apply it to the scalp. Leave it on for 30 minutes and wash it off with water.
Is PRP safe during pregnancy?
PRP (Platelet-Rich Plasma) treatment is not recommended during pregnancy. If one wants to do the PRP when pregnant, it's important to consult with a healthcare provider and a dermatologist before considering any hair loss treatment during pregnancy.
UnCover is one of the best places to get the best consultation on PRP pregnancy. However, one can go through PRP treatment after pregnancy.
What is PRP?
PRP is a medical treatment that involves taking a small amount of a patient's own blood, processing it to concentrate the platelets, and then injecting the PRP into the patient's scalp. The growth factors present in the platelets are believed to promote hair growth and improve hair density. The PRP treatment has been used as a non-surgical hair loss treatment option.
Benefits of PRP
Some potential benefits of PRP treatment for hair loss include:
- Stimulating hair growth and increasing hair density.
- Improving the thickness and strength of existing hair.
- Reducing hair shedding and thinning.
- Non-surgical and minimally invasive procedures.
- Using the patient's own blood, which reduces the risk of allergic reactions.
- Little to no downtime is required after the treatment.
How is PRP done?
PRP treatment for hair loss typically involves the following steps:
- A small amount of blood is drawn from the patient's arm.
- The blood is then placed in a centrifuge machine, which separates the platelets from the other components of the blood.
- The platelets are then concentrated to create the PRP solution.
- The PRP solution is then injected into the scalp at the targeted areas of hair loss.
- After the injection, the scalp may be massaged to distribute the PRP solution evenly.
What is the cost of PRP treatment?
PRP might sound like an expensive treatment, but in reality, it is not at all a costly treatment when done at the right place. For an affordable PRP treatment, people can refer to PRP packages offered by UnCover. UnCover provides a pocket-friendly treatment.
The cost of PRP treatment ranges from Rs. 5,000 to Rs. 20,000. The charge may increase as per the number of sessions attended. One session of PRP lasts for around 60 minutes.
To Sum Up
Hair loss during pregnancy is a common concern for many women. It is caused by hormonal changes in the body. While some degree of hair thinning or shedding is normal during pregnancy, excessive hair loss may be a sign of an underlying medical condition that requires medical intervention. Treatments for hair loss during pregnancy may include medication, dietary supplements, or lifestyle changes. It's important to note that some treatments may not be safe during pregnancy, so discussing all options with a healthcare professional before starting any treatment is important.
CTA: If one is facing excess hair loss during pregnancy, then one must seek out the best treatment. The most favorable and effective treatment available is PRP Treatment. And UnCover is the best place to get a professional PRP done by experts. At UnCover, doctors will provide not only the solution for a particular hair fall problem but also many skin-related problems. So, book a consultation for free today at UnCover for PRP.