PCOS stands for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. It is a common hormonal disorder. It affects reproductive-aged women. Women with PCOS have hormonal imbalances. They can cause irregular menstrual cycles, excess hair growth, acne, and weight gain.
Additionally, many women with PCOS may have multiple small cysts on their ovaries. But not all women with PCOS have ovarian cysts. But majorly PCOS hair loss and excess hair growth are the major issues faced by women.
Common causes of PCOS
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a common endocrine disorder. It affects women of reproductive age. The exact cause of PCOS is not known. But there are several factors that are believed to contribute to its development. Here are some of the common causes of PCOS:
- Insulin resistance: Insulin is a hormone produced by the pancreas. It helps the body to use glucose for energy. Insulin resistance occurs when the body's cells become resistant to the effects of insulin. This leads to increased levels of insulin in the blood. This can contribute to the development of PCOS. They do this by causing the ovaries to produce more androgen hormones, such as testosterone.
- Hormonal imbalances: Women with PCOS often have higher levels of androgen hormones, such as testosterone. These can interfere with ovulation. They can cause the development of cysts on the ovaries. Additionally, women with PCOS may have lower levels of follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and higher levels of luteinizing hormone (LH). This can disrupt the menstrual cycle and prevent ovulation.
- Genetic factors: There is evidence to suggest that PCOS may run in families. This indicates a genetic component to the disorder. However, the exact genes involved in PCOS are not yet known.
- Obesity: Women who are overweight or obese are at a higher risk of developing PCOS. This may be due in part to the fact that adipose (fat) tissue produces hormones. They can interfere with ovulation and contribute to insulin resistance.
- Inflammation: Chronic low-grade inflammation has been linked to the development of PCOS. Inflammation can cause oxidative stress and damage to the ovaries. This can interfere with ovulation and contribute to hormonal imbalances.
Symptoms of PCOS
The symptoms of PCOS can vary widely from woman to woman. Some women with PCOS may have only mild symptoms, while others may have more severe symptoms. The most common symptoms of PCOS include:
- Irregular periods: Women with PCOS may have infrequent or prolonged menstrual periods, or they may stop having periods altogether.
- Excess hair growth: Women with PCOS may have excess hair growth on their face, chest, back, or stomach. This is due to high levels of male hormones called androgens.
- Acne: Women with PCOS may experience acne due to high levels of androgens.
- Weight gain: Women with PCOS may gain weight, have difficulty losing weight, or have difficulty maintaining a healthy weight.
- Difficulty getting pregnant: Women with PCOS may have difficulty getting pregnant. This is due to irregular ovulation or anovulation (lack of ovulation).
- Darkening of the skin: Women with PCOS may experience darkening of the skin in areas such as the neck, groin, and underarms. This is due to high levels of insulin.
- Hair loss: Women with PCOS may experience hair loss or thinning. this happens due to high levels of androgens.
- Mood changes: Women with PCOS may experience mood changes such as depression and anxiety.
Does PCOS Cause Excess Pubic Hair?
Yes, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) can cause excess pubic hair growth, also known as hirsutism. This is because PCOS is associated with hormonal imbalances, specifically an increase in androgen hormones such as testosterone.
Androgen hormones are responsible for the development of masculine characteristics in both men and women. This includes the growth of hair in areas such as the pubic region, face, chest, and back. In women with PCOS, the ovaries may produce higher levels of androgens. This leads to the development of hirsutism.
Hirsutism can be distressing for some women. It may lead to feelings of self-consciousness and anxiety. Fortunately, there are several treatments available to manage hirsutism caused by PCOS. Similarly, PCOS is not only linked to excess hair growth but PCOS and hair loss are also connected for which you can seek PCOS hair loss treatments.
Best Treatments available for Excess Pubic Hair Growth due to PCOS
The best PCOS hair growth treatments available to stop excess pubic hair growth in PCOS depend on the individual's specific symptoms and medical history. However, some common treatment options for excessive hair growth in PCOS include:
- Oral contraceptives: Hormonal birth control pills can help regulate menstrual cycles and decrease the levels of androgens. This can reduce excess hair growth.
- Anti-androgen medications: Medications such as spironolactone or finasteride can block the effects of androgens. They can reduce excess hair growth.
- Topical hair removal creams: Over-the-counter or prescription creams can help reduce hair growth in the pubic area.
- Laser hair removal (LHR): This is a medical procedure. It uses a laser to destroy hair follicles. It can provide long-lasting hair reduction.
- Electrolysis: This is a medical procedure. It uses an electric current to destroy hair follicles. It can provide permanent hair removal.
- Weight loss: Losing weight and maintaining a healthy weight can help improve PCOS symptoms, including excess hair growth.
How the LHR is helpful for controlling Excess Hair Growth
LHR stands for Laser Hair Removal. It is a medical procedure. It uses a laser to remove unwanted hair. The laser emits a beam of light that is absorbed by the pigment in the hair follicle, which damages the follicle and inhibits future hair growth. Laser hair removal is a safe and effective way to remove hair from various areas of the body, including the face, legs, arms, underarms, bikini area, and back.
Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
Some of the benefits of LHR include:
- Long-lasting results: Shaving or waxing provide only temporary hair removal. But laser hair removal can provide long-lasting hair reduction.
- Precision: Laser hair removal targets only the hair follicles. It leaves the surrounding skin undamaged.
- Speed: Laser hair removal can treat multiple hair follicles at once. This makes it a quick and efficient procedure.
- Reduced ingrown hairs: Laser hair removal can reduce the occurrence of ingrown hairs. This can be a common problem with other hair removal methods.
- Convenience: Laser hair removal requires no downtime. Most people can resume their normal activities immediately after the procedure.
It is important to talk to a healthcare provider or a licensed laser hair removal specialist to determine if LHR is appropriate for you. And the best place to know this is UnCover. It offers various Laser Hair Removal Packages (LHR) at a very reasonable price.
Cost of the Laser Hair Reduction (LHR) at UnCover
UnCover offers around eight packages for Laser Hair Reduction (LHR). Among these eight packages, one that suits to prevent Excess Pubic Hair Growth caused by PCOS is the Bikini package.
The package for Bikini starts at Rs. 3000 for one session. If you want to book an appointment for 3 sessions of Bikini Laser Hair Reduction, then you need to pay Rs. 8,700 i.e., Rs. 2900/session. For 6 sessions UnCover charges Rs.16,200 i.e., Rs. 2700/session and if you want to attend unlimited Sessions for 1 yr then you need to pay Rs. 21,600.
In conclusion, PCOS is a hormonal disorder. It can cause a range of symptoms. These include excess hair growth in the pubic area and sometimes even hair loss. One can consult a dermatologist for Hair loss treatment. Excess hair growth in this area can be uncomfortable. It can affect a person's self-esteem. The best treatment available for excess pubic hair growth in PCOS is Laser Hair Reduction.
To get rid of those irritating Excess Pubic Hair Growth caused due to PCOS, book a Laser Hair Reduction (LHR) treatment at UnCover. UnCover offers a wide range of affordable packages for Laser Hair Reduction. Along with Laser Hair Reduction treatment, UnCover also offers several treatments to cure skin and hair-related problems. So, get in touch with UnCover Experts and obtain a permanent solution for your hair and skin problems.