Scars need not be permanent
It is normal to feel self-conscious when one has a noticeable scar on one's skin. Whether from a burn, surgery, or an accident, scars can be a reminder of a difficult time in one's life. But scars don't have to be permanent.
There are several effective treatments for scar removal that can help get smooth, even skin. With the help of experienced dermatologists and plastic surgeons, one can reduce the appearance of one's scar and reclaim one's confidence.
If the scar removal cost in India is a concern, one need not worry. One can simply look up the scar surgery cost in India today and find out more about the types of treatments available.
Types of scars
Before getting into the details of scar removal costs in India, one must learn about the different types of scars.
Normal fine-line scars
These are the regular wounds where cuts heal to leave raised lines. These lines gradually flatten and fade over time. The healing and fading process can take a long time. It is common to have a normal fine-line scar after surgery or a wound. These scars might itch initially but are not painful.
A keloid scar appears due to tissue overgrowth when excessive collagen is produced at the wounded site.
The outgrowth in the scar grows even after the wound heals. Keloid scars can be painful and affect movement if they form near joints. These scars are easily visible on one's body.
Hypertrophic scars are like keloid scars. They form due to excess collagen production on the wound.
However, hypertrophic scars stay within the boundary of the original wound. They can thicken for about 6 months and then slowly fade over a few years.
Pitted or sunken scars
As the name suggests, these scars look sunken or pitted. They are caused by skin conditions like acne and chickenpox. These scars can also develop due to an injury that eliminated underlying fat. People commonly call them ice-pick scars or atrophic.
Scar contractures happen when the skin shrinks. This leads to some tightness on the skin and can restrict movement. One can see scar contractures in burn areas of the body.
Symptoms of keloid scars
Keloid scars are easily visible on one's body. The symptoms may include the following:
- Thick and irregular scarring, mostly on the shoulders, cheeks, earlobes, or middle chest
- A portion of raised skin that is shiny and hairless.
- The texture of the scar can be rubbery, firm or soft, depending on the size of the wound.
- One may experience itchiness and discomfort around the area of keloid development in the initial stage.
Symptoms of hypertrophic scars
Hypertrophic scars are quite similar to keloid scars. But, there can be notable differences between the two. A few of the symptoms are listed below:
- A thickened and hard raised tissue over the wound
- The scars usually turn from pink to red to purple.
- These scars most commonly develop on one's upper body—upper arms, back, chest, shoulders, and the skin covering joints.
- These scars develop slowly after one to two months of the injury period.
Types of scar treatments
The following are the most common types of scar treatments available in India:
- Laser scar removal: This type of scar removal surgery uses a high-intensity laser to vaporize the scarred tissue, thereby improving the appearance of the affected area. The appearance of the keloid scars can be reduced by using laser or surgical treatments.
- Dermabrasion: This procedure involves using a tiny brush to manually sand away the outer layer of the skin, removing the scar tissue.
- Punch excision: This type of scar removal surgery involves the removal of scar tissue by making a tiny incision and punching out the scar.
- Skin grafting: A skin graft is a procedure in which healthy skin from one area of the body is grafted onto a scarred area, allowing for better healing and improved appearance.
- Injections: Injections of cortisone and other medications can be used to reduce the appearance of some scars. The removal of hypertrophic scars generally involves the use of laser or steroid injections.
- Chemical peel: This type of scar removal surgery involves using a chemical solution to remove the upper layers of skin, allowing for the growth of new, healthy skin.
How much does scar removal cost?
The average scar removal cost can range from Rs. 2,000 to Rs. 30,000 per session. The keloid scar removal cost can vary depending on the severity of the scar and the complexity of the treatment chosen. The hypertrophic scar removal cost can vary depending on the severity and type of scar.
Keloid and hypertrophic scar removal cost
In general, the keloid scar removal surgery cost in India can range from Rs. 5,000 to Rs. 30,000 for each session. In contrast, the hypertrophic scar removal cost in India can range from Rs. 2,000 to Rs.15,000 per session.
The risks associated with scar removal
The risks associated with scar removal are minor if one reaches out to the best professionals. Possible risks include infection, skin discolouration, and scarring. Additionally, there may be other rare side effects, such as redness, swelling, and pain.
One must discuss potential risks with a doctor before undergoing any scar removal procedure.
When to see a doctor?
Early treatment of keloid and hypertrophic scars can help minimize their growth. As soon as one notices such a scar, one must talk to a doctor. In case there are scars that one has had for a while, one must consult with a specialist in skin conditions (dermatologist).
Early treatment might also lessen the number of sessions during the treatment. This can further reduce the overall scar removal cost.
Tips to reduce scar removal cost
Here are two tips that come in handy if one is looking to reduce the cost of scar removal in India.
- Research clinics and treatment options: It is important to research different clinics and treatment options before making a decision. This will ensure one gets the best treatment at a reasonable price.
- Look out for discounts and special offers: Many clinics offer discounts and special offers on keloid removal costs throughout the year. It is important to look for discounts and special offers before deciding.
Scar removal can be affordable
Scar removal costs in India can vary depending on the severity of the scar, the type of treatment used, and the clinic's reputation. Scar removal can be a long, challenging journey, and it is important to remember that everyone’s experience is unique. While there are many treatment options available to help reduce the appearance of scars, the key is to find the best option. With patience and dedication, many people have seen positive results from scar removal treatments. To know more about the best and most affordable scar removal treatments, visit UnCover today!
Q1. How much does scar removal cost in India?
A. Scar removal costs in India vary depending on the type of scar, the area of the body, and the kind of treatment. Generally, treatment costs range from Rs. 2,000 to Rs. 40,000 for each session.
Q2. What are the most common scar removal treatments in India?
A. The most common scar removal treatments in India include laser treatments, topical medications, cryotherapy, dermabrasion, and injections.
Q3. How long does scar removal treatment take?
A. The duration of treatment depends on the scar's type, size and treatment. Generally, each session of the treatment can take anywhere between 10 minutes to an hour.
Q4. Are there any side effects of scar removal treatments?
A. There may be some side effects of scar removal treatments, including redness, swelling, itching, and scarring.
Q5. Is scar removal treatment painful?
A. Pain levels vary depending on the type of treatment. Generally, treatments such as laser scar removal, dermabrasion, and injections can cause some level of discomfort.