Many people struggle with hair loss, which can be a huge source of distress. But, thankfully, there are many treatments available now to help treat the issue. Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy is one such hair growth treatment that has been gaining momentum in recent years. PRP is a unique kind of treatment that uses the patient’s blood to stimulate hair growth. It is a natural, non-surgical, and minimally invasive treatment procedure that can help increase the strength of existing hair strands. PRP works by causing the scalp to produce more collagen, thus promoting healthier and more active hair follicles.
In this article, we will look at how PRP can be used to improve hair growth and the benefits they offer.
What is PRP?
PRP is a form of therapy that uses scalp injections to stimulate hair growth. It is a concentrated form of blood plasma, which is rich in platelets and growth factors. PRP is administered through injections into the scalp. The goal of PRP is to increase the number of active hair follicles, thereby improving hair growth and reducing hair loss.
How does PRP work?
Understanding how PRP works and how it can be used to promote hair growth can help you make an informed decision about your treatment options.
- During the procedure, a few ml of the patient’s blood is drawn and the platelets are separated from the other blood components (plasma).
- The platelet-rich mixture is then administered via injection into the scalp, where it helps stimulate the production of new hair follicles. This treatment can help improve the thickness and length of a person's hair, leading to thicker and longer locks.
Benefits of PRP for hair regrowth
PRP is an innovative hair growth treatment that stimulates the scalp and reinvigorates hair follicles so that healthy hair can be restored.
Hair injections with PRP are a powerful way –
1. To improve the overall health of the hair follicles,
2. Stimulate new growth
3. Prevent further hair loss.
PRP is an effective treatment for many forms of hair loss, including male and female pattern baldness, other forms of alopecia, hair loss during pregnancy, postpartum hair fall, hair loss due to existing medical conditions, and post-Covid hair loss. The treatment works by increasing circulation to the scalp, nourishing the hair follicles, and stimulating stem cells to promote the development of new healthy hair strands.
Plasma treatments for hair loss can also prevent future damage and help maintain the strength of existing hair follicles. The nutrients in the injected plasma can help protect and strengthen each follicle, reducing the chances of future breakage and thinning. In addition, because PRP treatments encourage new cell growth, they can help reduce the appearance of thinning and receding hairlines.
PRP hair regrowth can also have a positive impact on overall scalp health. The added nutrients in the PRP can help reduce inflammation and dryness while promoting a healthier scalp. This can result in thicker, fuller hair with improved texture, making it easier to style and manage.
Preparing for PRP Treatment
To prepare for PRP treatment, all you need to do is to follow the steps mentioned below.
- Consult a trained professional dermatologistThe first step in your PRP treatment journey is to consult a dermatologist specializing in PRP treatment. You may book a free consultation with one of our trained dermatologists who will help you decide the best course of action.
- Decide on the best PRP treatment for you
1. When it comes to improving hair growth with PRP, there are a few options available for you to choose from. The key is to find the best treatment for your individual needs and goals. A qualified doctor who specializes in PRP hair growth and PRP hair regrowth treatments will help you choose the best treatment option suited for you.
2. Your dermatologist can help you determine a customized PRP treatment plan by evaluating your health, medical history, and lifestyle. Depending on your specific needs, you may be suggested to take a single injection or multiple treatments to help you achieve your desired goals.
3. Your dermatologist will also be able to discuss potential side effects and risks associated with the treatment so that you know exactly what to expect before undergoing any treatment. They will also be able to advise you on how to prepare for the procedure so that you can ensure the best possible outcome.
Finding the best PRP treatment is an important decision, so it is important to consult a qualified dermatologist who has experience in administering PRP treatments. With the right guidance and care, you can achieve the results you’re looking for.
Are there any side effects?
When considering PRP scalp injections for hair growth, it is important to be aware of the minor side effects of PRP treatments. Generally, there are no serious side effects associated with PRP hair growth treatments. However, some people may experience mild discomfort during the injection process, as well as temporary redness, itching, or swelling around the injection site. Additionally, some people may experience mild headaches after the procedure, but these typically subside within a few hours. It is important to follow all pre- and post-treatment instructions given by your doctor to ensure the best possible outcome and reduce the risk of any side effects.
How painful is the treatment?
Most patients undergoing PRP treatment have not complained of any associated pain. However, if pain occurs, a local anaesthetic may be applied to the scalp before injection.
How long does it take to see results?
When it comes to PRP scalp injections for hair growth or plasma treatment for hair loss, the results vary from person to person. Generally, you should start seeing an improvement in hair texture, the thickness of the hair shaft, and the growth of new hair within two weeks of your PRP treatment. However, it might take as much as three to six months before you can see the full effects. It is important to keep in mind that some people may require multiple treatments to achieve the desired result.
How long do the results of PRP treatment last?
The longevity of the results of PRP treatment varies from person to person. However, many people undergoing the treatment have been happy with the lasting results. Depending upon your condition, you may be recommended to take maintenance treatments periodically to reap the benefits of PRP.
How much does it cost?
The prices of PRP hair growth treatments in India varies depending on the type of treatment and any add-on treatments that may be necessary. Generally, scalp injections for hair growth using plasma therapy cost around INR 5,000 to INR 20,000. But, it can also cost more. This depends on the number of sessions required to achieve desirable results. Further, if any additional treatments like laser photo therapy are needed, the cost tends to go higher. PRP hair regrowth treatment costs also depend on the location and facility offering the treatment. It’s important to research the costs beforehand and compare different facilities to make sure you get quality treatment at the best price.
Is PRP right for you?
The decision of whether PRP is right for you depends on your individual needs. If you are considering using PRP for hair regrowth, then it is best to consult with a qualified medical doctor, preferably a well-trained dermatologist. Depending on the severity of your hair loss, scalp injections for hair growth may be recommended. If you have any other medical conditions, it is important to have a conversation with your healthcare provider about the best treatment option for you.
Who should avoid PRP treatment for hair growth?
People who have the following conditions should avoid going for a PRP treatment:
- People who have undergone chemical hair treatment or surgical hair transplant
- People suffering from scalp injections
- People having open wounds on the scalp or scalp infections
- Pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers
- People with a history of blood disorders
- People with a history of cancer
What are the pre-care and post-care guidelines of PRP treatment?
- Wash your hair well with your regular shampoo before treatment.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- Avoid alcohol for three days before treatment
- Avoid hair treatments for a minimum of one week before treatment
- Avoid prolonged sun exposure for a minimum of one week before treatment
- Consult your doctor before treatment if you have a medical condition and are on medications
- Avoid blood thinners and nutritional supplements, including vitamins from 2 weeks before treatment, after consulting your doctor.
- Avoid taking NSAIDs for pain for a minimum of two weeks.
- Avoid touching the treated scalp for 8 hours post-treatment.
- Avoid smoking, alcohol, and caffeine for a minimum of three days post-treatment.
- Avoid washing or styling your hair for six hours post-treatment.
- Avoid any strenuous activity for two days post-treatment
PRP is a revolutionary hair regrowth treatment that has been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration. The benefits of PRP for hair regrowth are numerous. The procedure is safe and effective, with minimal side effects and recovery time. The treatment is cost-effective, thus making it an attractive alternative to the more expensive hair transplant surgery.
When considering PRP for hair regrowth, it is important to discuss your medical history with your doctor or specialist. Your doctor will be able to assess the best course of action for you.
So, if you are interested in PRP treatment to improve hair growth, look no further. Consult us today.