Why Does hair get Visibly thinner in men?
Hair thinning is a natural sign of getting older, and men typically lose their hair more visibly and rapidly than women.
In general, it’s typical to lose roughly 100 strands of hair every day. Since new hair replaces the lost ones, this loss usually goes unnoticed. However, as one becomes older, the growth rate of hair slows down. Thus, there is noticeable hair thinning.
To prevent hair loss in men, one can use multiple approaches and PRP treatment is undoubtedly one of the best methods out there.
Causes of hair thinning
The most common causes for hair thinning are genetics and lifestyle choices. Sometimes, it can also be caused due to medical disorders. A few typical lifestyle choices that affect hair growth are as follows.
- Regularly styling the hair into many different styles.
- Changing hormonal levels due to stress and other external indicators.
- Certain medications can lead to the thinning of hair.
- Using hot tools on wet hair can cause extensive heat damage to the hair, leading to hair thinning.
- Thyroid issues can block the receipt of resources to hair follicles, leading to hair loss.
- Minerals like iron and folic acid aid in the normal hair-growth process. If there is a deficit of such minerals, it may cause breakage and eventually lead to the hair looking thinner.
How to stop hair thinning in men?
Hair thinning in men can be reduced by inculcating self-care into one's regimen. It must be noted, however, that hair loss due to ageing is a genetic factor which cannot be completely prevented.
A few ways to reduce hair thinning include:
- Consuming food rich in protein, biotin, Omega-3 fatty acids and iron.
- Avoiding hair colours or reducing the frequency of dyeing hair.
- Reducing stress levels.
- Keeping oneself hydrated.
- Getting enough physical activity.
- Using essential oils for hair such as peppermint or rosemary that can stimulate hair growth.
- Cutting alcohol and smoking.
- Keeping the scalp sweat-free.
- Avoiding heating and straightening equipment on hair.
- Regular hair wash.
- Avoiding harsh hair products.
- Using a hairbrush with wide tooth or soft bristles and natural fibres.
Treatments For Hair Loss
A few of the popular ways to prevent hair loss in males include –
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
FUE is a process where a laser-guided robot picks individual follicular units from the donor area under the guidance of the doctor. This treatment method offers high-quality grafts for fuller, thicker-looking hair without a linear scar due to its ability to identify the best hairs for transplantation.
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT)
FUT treatment involves removing a tiny area of the scalp from the back of the head that contains growing hair. In this method, the donor strip is used to remove individual hair follicles, which are then inserted into the balding area. Unfortunately, this transplant process leaves a small, linear scar. However, this can be readily concealed by the surrounding hair and has a diameter of 1mm or less.
Laser light therapy is a non-invasive hair loss treatment, commonly referred to as low-level light therapy. This procedure stimulates the hair follicles on the scalp to promote hair growth using hundreds of laser diodes.
Furthermore, certain laser therapy solutions, such as the Capillus laser light therapy caps, are used for a short period each day, providing discrete hair loss treatment. One can witness hair growth and a halt of additional hair loss, six to eight months after the treatment begins.
The process of hair transplantation entails moving hair from a particular area typically from the rear of the scalp to balding or thinning areas of the head. When transplanted, follicles from these regions continue to grow since they are not likely to fall out and are not affected by hair loss or male pattern baldness.
Thus, this hair transplant therapy option offers long-lasting growth with natural-looking hair.
Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy
If individuals are experiencing hair loss, it is advisable to opt for PRP hair treatment. Doctors primarily utilise platelet-rich plasma (PRP) to hasten tissue restoration, and this encourages the growth of new hair.
It should be noted that this procedure should be done by a professional, and at UnCover, individuals can get expert assistance for PRP hair loss treatment. Moreover, UnCover provides this treatment effectively and affordably, with prices starting at Rs. 5000 for a 60-minute session.
What is the procedure for PRP?
In general, the procedure for PRP injections to stop hair thinning in males includes the following steps.
- Blood will be obtained from a vein in the arm, on the day of the PRP procedure. This blood will then be put into a unique centrifuge for making platelet-rich plasma (PRP).
- The PRP will be created after a 15-minute separation and concentration process. Then a doctor will reassess the concerned area to determine the precise location of the treatment.
- A local anaesthetic will be used in the area of operation.
- The concentrated PRP will subsequently be injected into the concerned area. In general, it should take about an hour to complete the process.
Benefits of PRP Treatment
PRP enhances the production of elastin and collagen, which tones and thickens thinning hair. It stimulates growth and improves the hair cycle.
PRP is extremely safe because it uses individuals' blood to extract plasma. There are no chances of infections or allergies.
PRP doesn't include any foreign compounds and just uses the plasma from the blood.
Hair thinning is a common problem in all genders. However, there are many tips to prevent hair loss in men and one can take multiple approaches.
It is advisable to consult a doctor before taking any medication and choosing any treatment. However, if hair thinning is a major concern, one can visit UnCover and get comprehensive guidance on the issue. One can also book an appointment for a first consultation to begin the PRP treatment process! Thick and healthy hair is just a click away!