Intense pulsed light vs Laser Hair Reduction: Making the Right Choice for Your Skin
When it comes to hair reduction, there are various methods and devices available in the market. However, intense pulsed light and laser hair reduction are the most popular and effective options for achieving long-lasting hair removal results. Intense pulsed light and laser hair reduction have their respective advantages and limitations. This can make it challenging to determine which treatment is best suited for your skin type and hair removal needs.
In this article, we will discuss the key differences between intense pulsed light and laser hair reduction. These include the number of sessions, efficacy, pain levels, skin type, and downtime. We will help you to make an informed decision when choosing the best option for your needs. Additionally, we will touch upon how UnCover offers unique solutions to intense pulsed light vs laser hair reduction. We will also explore why it should be the go-to choice for anyone looking for an effective and cost-efficient solution for hair reduction. So, if you're considering hair reduction, keep reading to learn more about intense pulsed light and laser hair reduction and make the right choice for your skin!
Intense Pulsed Light laser: What is it?
Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) is a technique that uses a strong beam of light with different wavelengths. It targets specific structures and pigment-containing substances in the skin. This is known as selective photothermolysis. It can be used for various cosmetic purposes. These include skin regeneration, pigmentation, and hair removal. The light used in intense pulse light laser targets melanin in the hair follicles. It does this to achieve the desired cosmetic changes. In other words, intense pulse light employs a range of wavelengths to selectively heat and destroy the hair follicle. This results in hair reduction.
Intense Pulsed Light Hair Removal Advantages
The intense pulsed light hair removal advantages are as follows:
- It offers a significant slowdown in hair growth
- It is less agonizing than other procedures like waxing and epilation
- There is substantially less time between sessions
- It performs incredibly well on fair skin and dark, coarse hair
- It is a cost-effective method of treating unwanted hair growth.
Limits of Intense Pulsed Light Hair Removal
The drawbacks of intense pulsed light hair removal are as follows:
- Outcomes take a while to become apparent
- Requires touch-up treatments to keep the skin looking smooth and hairless
- Works poorly on light or fine hair.
- Works poorly on skin types with darker pigment.
- Following the treatment, the skin becomes swollen and red, giving it a sunburned appearance.
What Is Laser Hair Reduction?
Laser hair reduction is a technique that uses a single-wavelength light beam to selectively target melanin pigment in the hair follicles. The heat generated by the light energy is converted to heat energy at the basal stem cells. It destroys the pigment-producing cell. But it leaves the surrounding areas unharmed. The targeted heat-damaged hair follicles stop producing hair.
Laser hair reduction treatment involves using different laser devices with varying intensities and controlled fluence to precisely reach deeper hair follicles. The technique of selective photothermolysis is employed in laser hair reduction. This is to achieve the desired cosmetic changes.
Laser Hair Reduction Advantages
The laser hair reduction advantages are as follows:
- Exactness: Lasers can precisely target coarse, black hairs. They cause no harm to the surrounding skin.
- Quick remedies: Several hairs can be treated simultaneously with each laser pulse. This lasts just a fraction of a second. The length of your appointment can range from 10 minutes to an hour. This depends on the region being treated.
- Delivers outcomes. After an average of six to nine treatments, the majority of patients experience permanent hair loss of 80–90%.
Limits of Intense Pulsed Light Hair Removal
The drawbacks of laser hair reduction are as follows:
- Takes time: Because the hair will come out gradually, the process will take some time. You must attend a few treatment sessions and wait for the outcomes.
- Skin Burning: When the process is heated up throughout multiple sessions, it occasionally causes skin or hair burns.
- Does not work for everyone: Due to the different types of skin, this therapy does not work for everyone. This technique usually works brilliantly for dark hair with a fair complexion. But it doesn't work as well for fine peach fuzz hair.
How are Intense Pulsed Light and Laser Hair Reduction Different?
The following are the main distinctions between intense pulsed light and laser hair removal:
- Safety: Both methods are generally safe. But the laser is approved by the US FDA while only some of the intense pulsed light devices are approved.
- Several sessions: The number of sessions needed for laser hair reduction is 6–8, compared to 10–12 sessions needed for intense pulsed light treatment.
- Permanent or not: Lasting hair reduction is possible with both laser and intense pulsed light, though after intense pulsed light treatment, maintenance sessions are required more frequently.
- Pain levels: When opposed to intense pulsed light therapy, modern laser hair reduction equipment provides a virtually pain-free experience.
- Session time: Intense pulsed light sessions typically last 20 to 45 minutes, compared to 30 to 60 minutes for laser hair reduction.
- Skin Color: Laser hair reduction is effective on all skin colours however it works best on people with dark hair and fair complexion. Intense pulsed light, in contrast, only benefits light skin.
- Penetration level: In comparison to intense pulsed light equipment, laser machines have deeper penetration.
- Downtime: No downtime is required for laser hair reduction and intense pulsed light because they are short procedures.
Which is more effective - Intense Pulsed Light or Laser Hair Reduction?
Let's see which of intense pulsed light and laser hair reduction is superior:
- Laser hair reduction is superior in comparison, particularly for Indian skin tones. This is because it has very few side effects. It is also effective on Fitzpatrick's skin types 4-5-6. Intense pulsed light only benefits people with lighter skin tones.
- Laser hair reduction has the advantage of having many devices available. These cater to the specific needs of people's skin. This means it's easier to find the most suitable device for a person's skin, as opposed to intense pulsed light which uses a single device for all skin types.
- Laser hair reduction is effective on small areas of skin, while intense pulsed light can treat larger areas. However, intense pulsed light may have more side effects than laser hair reduction.
- Laser hair reduction can achieve desired results in 6-10 sessions. But intense pulsed light typically requires at least 10 sessions to show visible results. Laser light can also be adjusted by changing the fluence to effectively treat each skin type.
- Numerous advanced laser technologies have received US FDA approval. They have also demonstrated both high efficacy and safety.
Cost of Laser Hair Reduction
Laser hair reduction has become a popular option for achieving long-lasting hair reduction results. However, many people are hesitant to invest in the treatment due to concerns about cost. At UnCover we will help you understand the investment required to achieve silky-smooth skin.
- Underarms starting at Rs. 3,500
- Legs starting at Rs. 8,500
- Arms starting at Rs. 8,500
- Face parts start at Rs. 1,800
- Stomach starting at Rs. 5,000
- Bikini starting at Rs. 3,000
- Beard shaping starts at Rs. 3,500
- Full body starting at Rs. 15,000
Unwanted hair removal is a popular desire for both men and women seeking smooth, flawless skin. While both laser and intense pulsed light technologies have their specific uses, laser hair reduction technology is more commonly recommended by dermatologists due to its high efficacy and US FDA approval for use on various skin types. Laser hair reduction is a suitable and cost-effective choice for Indian skin types, especially for full body or specific body part treatments. However, it's important to consult with an expert dermatologist before choosing a specific treatment.
Are you looking for a cost-effective and efficient solution for hair reduction? Look no further than UnCover! Our team of experienced dermatologists offers customized laser hair reduction solutions that cater to your specific skin type and hair removal needs. Contact us today to learn more and book your first session!