As proven by scientific data, smoking can lead to various negative health effects, including darkening of the lips. While quitting smoking may be the best way to prevent this, the good news is that there are ways to minimize the effects of smoking on one's lips. Read on to discover lip-lightening treatment options and a few tips and tricks for smoking without getting dark lips.
How does smoking cause dark lips?
Chemicals like nicotine are absorbed through the mouth. This can cause the lips to appear darker due to an increased concentration of chemicals in the area. These chemicals go on to damage the naturally present collagen and elastin in the lips, leading to premature ageing and wrinkling. Furthermore, smoking can cause the accumulation of toxins in the body, which can result in the lips becoming dry and discoloured.
Understanding lip-lightening treatments
Lip-lightening treatments are procedures that aim to lighten the natural colour of one's lips. One can also try various natural remedies and over-the-counter products.
Natural remedies to prevent dark lips due to smoking
Many natural remedies may help in lightening dark lips.
- Using lemon juice: Lemon juice is one of the most effective home remedies. The natural bleaching properties of lemon can help reduce the darkening of the lips.
- Consuming foods rich in vitamin C: Eating fruits and vegetables that are high in vitamin C like oranges, kiwis, peppers, and broccoli can help repair damaged skin and boost collagen production, resulting in lighter and healthier lips.
- Using a gentle scrub: Exfoliating lips with a mix of honey and sugar can help remove dead skin cells and improve blood circulation, resulting in lighter and healthier lips.
- Drinking green tea: Drinking green tea is a great way to flush out toxins from the body and can further, help to lighten the area around the lips.
- Applying natural oils: Applying natural oils like almond oil or coconut oil can help hydrate and nourish the skin, making the lips look lighter and healthier.
- Using aloe vera: Honey and aloe vera can also help soothe and moisturize the lips.
Natural fixes such as these can be used daily or weekly depending on the severity of the condition. Home remedies can be a good option in cases of mild pigmentation. However, the results may take time to show.
Over-the-counter products for treating dark lips from smoking
Over-the-counter products such as lip-lightening scrubs for smokers, creams and serums containing kojic acid and liquorice extract can help reduce lip darkening. Lip balms with SPF can help prevent further damage from the harmful UV rays of the sun.
Professional lip-lightening treatments
Professional lip-lightening treatments are cosmetic procedures designed to lighten the natural colour of the lips. These treatments are typically performed by licensed aestheticians or dermatologists and involve the use of advanced techniques and technology to achieve the desired results.
There are several types of professional lip-lightening treatments available, including the following:
- Microdermabrasion: Microdermabrasion is a non-invasive treatment that uses a specialized device to exfoliate the surface of the lips. It helps to remove dead skin cells and discolouration on the lips. Microdermabrasion can reduce any uneven pigmentation, as well as soften and smoothen fine lines and wrinkles. To maximize the benefits, microdermabrasion should be done in a series of several treatments. After each treatment, the lips may appear lighter, smoother and plumper.
- Lip peel treatment: Lip peel treatment is a specialized aesthetic procedure that is designed to help manage the appearance of dark lips. The procedure is typically done by a dermatologist and can be conducted in a medical spa or even at home. The goal is to lighten dark lips and make them look more vibrant and even in colour. Medical lip peels may be the most effective option as they involve removing the outermost layer of the lips, revealing lighter skin underneath. Depending on the type of peel used, this treatment can also help to reduce wrinkles and fine lines around the lips. The cost of the treatment can range anywhere between Rs. 3,000 to Rs. 10,000 per session and can vary depending on a number of factors, including the severity of the condition and the type of technology used. What is distinctly important is to follow all pre and post-care instructions provided by the dermatologist.
- Laser treatment: Laser treatment is an effective option for lip lightening. It involves using a laser to remove the top layer of skin on the lips, promoting the growth of new and lighter skin. This treatment is typically performed in a medical setting and may require multiple sittings for best results. However, it is essential to have realistic expectations and understand that results may vary depending on the severity of the pigmentation and the type of treatment used.
3 tips for smoking without getting dark lips
- To prevent the darkening of the lips when smoking, one can hold the cigarette or vape away from one's lips.
- Applying lip balm or lip lightener for smokers with SPF before smoking can provide additional protection against UV rays.
- Drinking plenty of water and staying hydrated can help maintain lip health.
The path to smoother, lighter lips
Maintaining lip health is essential, especially for smokers who may experience darkening of the lips. One must do one's research and choose a qualified, experienced practitioner or clinic before selecting a professional lip-lightening treatment. One must not let dark lips hold one back from feeling confident and beautiful. Visit UnCover today to discover the best and most affordable lip-lightening treatments!