Everyone wants to look flawless and hair-free while attending a wedding, beach trips, festival parties, and other events. And if the unwanted hair is keeping you from donning your favorite attire, then we’re to help.
In this article, we explained the two best hair removal methods: Waxing and laser hair removal. We often get the question from our clients about which treatment is better. Although they are effective in removing unwanted hair, they are a world apart: the process, the costs, the pain level, and the results. So, before you decide which waxing procedure to choose, it's best to know what you’re getting yourself into first. Keep reading this article for a comprehensive guide on laser hair removal and waxing.
It is one oldest and most used methods of hair removal. Although it doesn’t permanently stop hair growth it keeps unwanted body hair away for a few weeks longer than shaving.
How does waxing work?
Waxing is a relatively easy and simple process than laser treatment. It involves hot wax, an applicator, and a cloth strip.
A trained technician will start the process by applying hot wax onto your skin along the direction of your hair. Then they will place the cloth strip on top and smoothen it out. After leaving it to dry for just a few seconds, the technician will pull the cloth out in the opposite direction of your hair growth. This waxing process is done in patches and is repeated until all visible hair is removed. The session will end y applying soothing cream on the waxed skin to help minimize the irritation and cool down the skin.
Waxing treatment will only get rid of the hair while keeping the hair follicle intact making hair regrowth inevitable. Waxing will typically last 2 to 6 weeks depending on the hair growth.
Who can go for waxing?
Waxing is safe for all skin types, hair types, skin tones, and textures. A person with sensitive skin may experience temporary redness, irritation, and minor follicle bleeding after the waxing. Other than this there is no permanent harm to the skin. Moreover, pregnant women too can go for waxing.
Pros of Waxing
- It is an instant fix and you can see the result of hair-free skin after each session.
- The more you wax, the longer it takes your hair to grow back. And when hair grows back, it is thinner and less coarse.
- There are products in the market that allow you to wax on your own. However, we still recommend getting a professional to do it for you.
Cons of Waxing
- It is painful. You can expect little more pain when waxing sensitive areas of your body like underarms, bikini line, and upper lip.
- It is prone to chicken skin and ingrown hairs.
- It is a temporary solution as you need regular sessions to maintain smooth and spotless skin.
- It may cause temporary redness and irritation to people with sensitive skin. Some may even experience slight bleeding, rashes, and blisters.
Laser Hair Removal
It is a good option if you are looking for long-term results from hair removal. Although the earliest use of the laser hair removal method dates back to the 60s, it gained popularity in recent decades. It is even considered the closest solution to permanently minimizing hair growth.
How does laser hair removal work?
Laser hair removal treatment makes use of laser light energy for destroying hair follicles by targeting the skin pigment. The process is non-invasive and doesn’t cause any damage to the skin. Finding a certified and reputed skin clinic like Uncover Clinics is vital for a safe and successful procedure.
The process starts with shaving the target area, which helps the laser easily spot the follicles to be removed. Most skin clinics advise shaving a day before the treatment, but you may even ask the trained laser professionals to do it for you. Once the area is hair free, the technician may apply topical anesthesia to numb the skin from any pain you may experience. Next, the technician will apply the laser in the targeted area with hair growth, and the laser beam is adjusted according to skin color and thickness. Once the process is completed, cooling gel is applied to soothe the skin and minimize any side effects. The entire laser hair removal session lasts between 15 to 30 minutes, with succeeding sessions requiring less time.
The complete laser hair removal procedure takes 6 to 12 sessions with a break of 4 to 6 weeks in between. It also depends on your natural hair growth cycle and the area you want to have laser hair removal. Once completing all the sessions, you will have smooth, hair-free skin! Results can last for months to several years with a need for minimal touch-ups in between.
Who can have it?
People with any skin tone and hair color can go for it. However, they need to search for a skin clinic who have more advanced laser machines which will work well on dark as well as light-skin customers. Just like Uncover Clinics by Meddo.
For more info read - Which skin tones can get Laser Hair Removal?
Pros of Laser Hair Removal
- It will give a long-term or permanent result. Multiple sessions will guarantee hair-free skin for a long time.
- The treatment is easy, quick, and mostly painless.
- It is safe and gentle for sensitive skin people.
- It works well on all parts of the body even the bikini area and face.
- Since the hair follicle is destroyed, it means no painful ingrown hairs.
- One session is more expensive than other traditional hair removal methods but after a few sessions, you don’t need to spend anything on hair removal. Overall, it will cost you less than regular waxing.
Cons of Hair Removal
- You won't get an instant result like waxing.
Waxing vs. Laser Hair Removal
Now, let’s go back to the question: Which hair removal procedure is best?
Our honest answer: It depends! Hold on before you shake your head with this anti-climactic conclusion, just hear us out. Both waxing and laser hair removal will help achieve hair-free skin. Although they offer unique benefits, each has its own limitations. Choosing one method over other will depend on several factors. That said, we recommend both methods waxing and laser hair removal for different scenarios. At the end of the day, the ball is in your court decide what you want to do!
- For instant hair removal - Waxing.
- For long-term hair removal - Laser.
- For extremely light hair color - Waxing.
- For sensitive skin - Laser.
- For minimal pain and sensitivities - Laser.
- For lower cost per session - Waxing.
- For a lower lifetime cost - Laser.